Sunday, March 26, 2006

Loss of a brother

Sunday March 26 was a day I will not soon forget. It started about as normal as any other had the last 8 months. Off to precept for class from my own department to another. After working a call I was notified that one of my co-workers and friends at my deparment had been involved in a fatal motorcycle accident. His name was Josh Olenik. He was 24 years old. I feel like I have been kicked right square in the center of the chest. It hasn't really sunk in yet. I will never get the chance to tell him good bye. I talked to him the evening before his accident and when I hung up the phone all I told him was "see you later". Of course he said the same thing back to me. I wish now I had been able to shake his hand one last time or tell him good bye to his face. Josh was a part-time police officer, a volunteer firefighter, and an EMT full-time for us. He lived his life to help others. He said to me once that he wanted to die either on a call or on his bike. I guess he got his wish. He will always be remembered by those of us in the dept that knew him. I started writing this the day that Josh died, I unfortunately was unable to complete it the day I started it. Now a little more than a week has passed. I'm exhausted, bewildered and mostly numb.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know you feel bad. You've took it hard. It's a good thing though that you have so many that have pulled together for each other now. You have a big support system :)

7:36 AM  
Blogger Sassy said...

It's hard when it actually hits you. You feel totally lost. It feels like it never happened. You just want to pick up the phone and call him, but you cant. That's heartbreaking. When you're feeling lost without him, talk to him. OR roleplay with your wife! Im trying to make ya smile. =)

1:33 PM  
Blogger Sassy said...

Hmm...dont see any role playing going on in here yet.

2:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home